Fixing the fail pail

The Diaper Genie EliteSo the superglue didn’t work due to superglue never working for anything I needed it to. The peg that the pail pushes just takes too much stress for the glue to handle, but I got to noticing today when I took it apart yet again that the doors are complete mirrors of each other.

This normally wouldn’t have been all that interesting, except I noted that the doors were also mirrors of themselves, meaning there was no difference in the right and left sides. They had cut out grooves on the outside edge for the other pegs to just flow freely doing nothing.

Six screws and swapping the left door for the right door I’m back in business until the failpail fills back up and it goes unnoticed and overloaded. For how cheaply the thing’s made, I’m fairly surprised that the parts were removable and useful when swapped around.

It sort of looks as though an engineer designed the thing to have a front and back peg-pushing mechanism to alleviate some of the stress, and someone cut it out for weight and cost reasons. Whatever the case, them building the doors with completely unneeded extra plastic and a housing that had to be modified to accommodate that worked out to my advantage.

When the next peg breaks, there’ll be no swapping to fix, but I do have a plan involving a couple of screws and bolts that should do once a hole is drilled out for them.

  • Jamey

    Thanks for posting your hack on this. The exact same thing happened to ours today and your advice saved us the cost and hassle of getting a new one.

    If/when another peg breaks for you, please post your next workaround. I’m sure someone will find it useful!

  • Pingback: How to handle an overflowing Diaper Genie » theITbaby()